About Allyson Mitchell
Allyson Mitchell is a maximalist artist working predominantly in sculpture, installation and film. Since 1997, Mitchell has been melding feminism and pop culture to play with contemporary ideas about sexuality, autobiography, and the body, largely through the use of reclaimed textile and abandoned craft.
Allyson Mitchell, self portrait, © 2003
Her work has exhibited in galleries and festivals across Canada, the US, Europe and East Asia. She has also performed extensively with Pretty Porky and Pissed Off, a fat performance troupe, as well as publishing both writing and music. She is an assistant Professor in the School of Women's Studies at York University.
Allyson Mitchell's work has been generously supported by the Chalmers Foundation, Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario and Toronto Arts Councils and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- 1998-2006 Ph.D., Graduate Programme in Women's Studies, York University
- 1996-1998 M.A., Women's Studies, York University
- 1988-1995 B.A., Honours Double major in Women's Studies and English, York University
- Canada Council for the Arts International Residencies Program in Visual Arts, New York, September 2009-March 2010
- University of Illinois, Artist in residence March 04-11, 2007
- Trinity Square Video, Toronto ON, "Eat", Themed Commission Program March-May, 2004.
- Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff Alberta. "Big Rock Candy Mountain", April 20 - June 07, 2003
- One Girl's Journey To the Well of Forbidden Knowledge, the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Ladies Sasquatch, McMaster Museum of Art, Hamilton, ON (catalogue) Winnipeg Art Gallery, Winnipeg, MB; Lethbridge Art Gallery, Lethbridge, AB
- My Sticker Candy Pussy Lover, A1C Gallery, St. John's NL
- Brain Child, AKA Gallery, Saskatoon, SK; Cambridge Galleries, Cambridge, ON
- Brain Child, Union Gallery, Queen's University, Kingston, ON; La Centrale Gallerie Powerhouse, Montreal, QC;
- Finger Of Craft, The Khyber Institute of Contemporary Art, Halifax, NS
- Hungry Purse: The Vagina Dentata In Late Capitalism, The Textile Museum of Canada, Toronto, ON
- Lady Sasquatch, University of Buffalo Art Gallery, SUNY, Buffalo, NY
- Serious Fur, Stride Gallery, Calgary, AB
- Hungry Purse Toronto Alternative Art Fair International, Toronto ON
- Tawny and Silverback Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto ON
- Sasquatch Clutch Toronto Alternative Art Fair International, Toronto ON
- Lady Sasquatch Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Toronto ON
- Faux Naturelle Gladstone Hotel Artist Designed Rooms, Toronto ON
- Big Trouble CBC Atrium, Canadian Art Foundation, Toronto ON
- The Fluff Stands Alone Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Toronto ON
Selected Collaborative Exhibitions
- Martha Colburn/Allyson Mitchell, Saw Gallery, Ottawa, ON
- Defend the Sugar Bush with Andrew Harwood, Harvey Levine Gallery, Los Angeles CA
- Granny Square Wreck Room with Paul Campbell, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto ON
- Lady Sasquatch with Andrew Harwood and Miuki Madelaire, Chelsea Galleria Annex, Miami FL
- Granny Square Wreck Room with Paul Campbell, Toronto International Art Fair, Toronto ON
- Feels Like a Natural Woman Whitney Lee, Cecille R. Hunt Gallery, Webster University, St Louis MO
- Granny Square Wreck Room with Paul Campbell, Come Up to My Room Design Show, Toronto ON
- Double CHIN Picnic C Zeidler, RM Vaughan, A Harwood, Katherine Mulherin Art Projects, Toronto ON
- Halfway Across Canada with Christina Zeidler The Other Gallery, Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff AB
- Deliverance From Disaster Bucky and Fluff's Craft Factory, Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Toronto ON
- Flea Market Freak Out Bucky and Fluff's Craft Factory, Katherine Mulherin Contemporary Art, Toronto
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Fierce, The Robert McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa, ON
- Suggestions of a Life Being Lived, SF Camerawork, San Francisco, CA
- DIY: A Revolution in Handicraft, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA
- The Visible Vagina, David Nolan Gallery & Francis M. Nauman Fine Art, LLC, New York, NY (catalogue)
- Fierce: Women's Hot-Blooded Video/Film, McMaster Museum of Art, Hamilton, ON (catalogue)
- War At A Distance, Gallery TPW, Toronto ON
- Close To You: Contemporary Textiles, Intimacy and Popular Culture, Textile Museum, Toronto, ON
- Close To You: Contemporary Textiles, Intimacy and Popular Culture, Dalhousie Art Gallery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Craft Up, YYZ Artists' Outlet, Toronto, ON
- Raised in Craftivity, Greenlease Gallery, Rockport University, Kansas City, MO
- Eat the Food, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto, ON
- Faux Naturel, Foreman Art Gallery, Bishop's University, Lennoxville, QC
- Faux Naturel The Warehouse Gallery, Syracuse University, Syracuse NY Curator: Astria Suparak
- Super String Stride Gallery, Calgary AB Curator: Anthea Black
- fray Textile Museum of Canada and The Koffler Gallery, Toronto ON, Curators: S Quinton & C Farrell
- Blame Canada Harvey Levine Gallery, Los Angeles CA
- Pot Modern Zsa Zsa Gallery, Toronto ON
- Extra/Ordinary The Cube at Beco, Kansas City MO
- Beyond/In Squeaky Wheel/Albright Knox Museum, Buffalo NY
- Making History The qu-Art Gallery, Toronto ON
- Stitch or Swallow Here Gallery, Bristol UK
- Propagandista Toronto Free Gallery, Toronto ON
- The End of The Line Soap Factory, Minneapolis MN
- Self Publish or Perish Open Space Arts Society, Victoria BC
- Drawing Dissent Art System, Toronto, ON
- DocuLomo Gallery TPW, Toronto ON
- Believe in the Good of Life West Wing Gallery, Toronto ON
- Breakfast of Champeens Paul Petro Gallery, Toronto ON
- Selfish Slaves of Zines and Animation A Space Gallery, Toronto ON
- Freeman, Elizabeth, 2010 "Deep Lez, or, the Theory of Temporal Drag," Chapter 2 of Time Binds: Queer Temporalities, Queer Histories* (Duke University Press).
- Hladki, Janice. 2008. ÒNothing Big. Nothing SmallÓ: Allyson Mitchell's Video Autobiography. Ariel: A Review of English Literature 39 (1-2).
- Hikel, Sabine. 2007. The Bitch List: Allyson Mitchell. Bitch Magazine 36 (Summer).
- Johnston, Josee & Judith Taylor. 2008. Feminist Consumerism and Fat Activists. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 33 (4).
- Krishtalka, Sholem. 2008. The Woman's Realm. Stride Gallery Catalogue Essay.
- Kukla, Elisa. 2001. Fatastic! Xtra! Toronto's Lesbian and Gay Biweekly, 31 May.
- Landsberg, Michelle. 2002. Big Women Mock Society's Fat Obsession. The Toronto Star, 02 Nov.
- Lichtman, Chelsey. 2004. Deeply Lez. Trade Magazine Winter 2004.
- Luhmann, Susanne. 2007. Interview with the Artist. Atlantis: A Women's Studies Journal 31 (2).
- Buszek, Maria Elena. 2005. Allyson Mitchell: Lady Sasquatch. Self-published essay.
- Cooper, Charlotte. 2003. Body Politics: The Big Issue. Diva Magazine 10(6).
- McKay, Sally. 2004. Fun Fur Feminism. Canadian Art Magazine 21(2).
- Milroy, Sarah. 2005. Lady Sasquatch Revenge. The Globe and Mail, 23 September.
- Osborne, Catherine. 2003. Artistry Beyond Cool. The National Post, 03 November.
- Pohl-Weary, Emily. 2006. Allyson Mitchell Interview. Kiss Machine 13 (Fall/Winter).
- Reckitt, Helena. 2006. My Fuzzy Valentine: Allyson Mitchell. C Magazine 89 (Spring).
- Saturday Night Magazine. 2001. Allyson Mitchell: The Big Fat Revolutionary. 10 February.
- Steenbergen, Candis. 2003. Allyson Mitchell on Fear, Fat, Funk & Feminism. Good Girl Magazine 5.
- Temple, Kevin. 2005. Sexing the Sasquatch. Now Magazine, 15 September
- Underwood, Nora. 2000. Body Envy. MacLean's Magazine 14 August.
- Vaughan, RM. 2005. That's Ms Sasquatch To You. The National Post, 16 September.
FILM and VIDEO
- Afghanimation, 5 min, 35mm animation, 2008, A. Mitchell
- Dyke Pussy, 1 min, video, 2008,. A. Mitchell
- Foodie, 15 min, 35mm animation, 2008, A. Mitchell and F. Smyth
- Unca Trans, 3 min, Super8/video, with C. Zeidler (in progress)
- Melty Kitty, 3 min, Super 8, 2006, A. Mitchell.
- Feeding the Deer, 2 min, Super 8, 2005, A. Mitchell & P. Vermeersch.
- Big Trubs, 3 min, Super 8/video, 2004, A. Mitchell.
- Free! Bake! Sale, 3 min, video, 2004 A. Mitchell
- If Anyone Should Happen To Get In My Way, 5 min, 16mm, 2003 A. Mitchell & C. Zeidler.
- Glitter, 1 min, 16mm, 2003 A. Mitchell & C. Zeidler.
- Sicker Lover, 1 min, 16mm, 2003, A. Mitchell.
- Precious Little Tiny Love, 3 min, Super 8/video, 2003, A. Mitchell.
- Mayo Jar, 3 min, Super 8/Video, experimental, 2003 Allyson Mitchell.
- Believe, 1 min, Super 8/Video, 2002. Allyson Mitchell and Lex Vaughn.
- Inside Out Trailer, festival trailer, Inside Out Lesbian and Gay Film Festival of Toronto, 2002
- Pink-Eyed Pet, animation, 3 min, Super8/Video, 2002. Allyson Mitchell and Lex Vaughn.
- Bon Bon. animation, 4 min, 16mm, 2001. Allyson Mitchell and Lex Vaughn.
- My Life in 5 Minutes. 4 min. computer animation, 2000. Director, writer, producer, Allyson
- Candy Kisses. Animation, 2.5 min, 16mm, 1999, Allyson Mitchell.
- T.V. Did This To Me. Animation, 2.5 min, 16mm, colour, 1999, Allyson Mitchell
- Cupcake. Animation, 2.5 min, Super 8/video, 1998, Allyson Mitchell.
- Don't Bug Me. Animation,1min,16mm,colour,1997. Allyson Mitchell.
- Soggettiva Cultural Festival, Bologna Italy, November 03, 2010
- Dublin Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, Dublin Ireland, August 01, 2009
- British Film Institute, London England, April 05, 2009
- Video Pool, Winnipeg MB, January 15, 2009
- Groupe Intervention Video, Montreal QC, November 14, 2008
- Frameline, San Francisco CA, June 26 2008
- Khyber Institute of Contemporary Arts/ AFCOOP, Halifax, NS, November 2007.
- Vancouver Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, Vancouver BC, 17 August 2007
- Sugar and Splice Feminist Film, Festival, Winnipeg MB, 27 May 2006
- Pleasure Dome, Toronto, ON, 24 October 2003
- Squeaky Wheel, Buffalo NY, 12 March 2004
- LadyFest, Toronto, ON, 08 September 2002
- A Space Gallery, Andy Warhol Museum, The Box Salon, ED Video, The Elastic Residency, Neutral Ground, Spin Gallery, Trinity Square Video, The Walker Art Center
Short Film Festivals:
- Images Festival of Independent Film and Video, Pleasure Dome New Toronto Works Show, The Hamburg Short Film Festival, Rendezvous With Madness Festival Toronto, Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival of Toronto, Splice This!, Super 8 Film Festival Toronto, Kinemathek Karlsruhe E.V., Rehab: Parkdale Film Festival, Women in the Director's Chair
Lesbian and Gay
- Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Regina, San Francisco, Austin,New York, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Portland, Washington D.C., Rochester, Brazil, Tokyo, Melbourne, Milan, Finland, Auckland, Philadelphia, Bologna, London, Bern, Paris, Freiberg, Sydney, Dublin
- New York, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Portland OR, Washington D. C, Rochester, Brazil, Tokyo, Melbourne, Milan, Finland, Auckland, Philadelphia, Bologna, London, Bern, Paris, Freiberg, Sydney, Dublin,
- National Library and Archives, Ottawa Ontario
- Trent University, Peterborough Ontario
- Carleton University, Ottawa Ontario
- Queen's University, Kingston Ontario
- McMaster University, Hamilton Ontario
- Women In the Director's Chair National US Tour
- Satan McNugget Roadshow National Canadian Tour
- McMaster University, Ontario College of Art and Design, Trent University, York University, Waterloo University, University of Toledo, University of Illinois, Northwestern University, Washington University, Southern Oregon University, Macalester College, Wilfrid Laurier University, Concordia University, Queen's University, Syracuse University.
- “Goddess By The Balls” Art Gallery of York University, Toronto ON, March 31, 2010
- “Gertrude and Susan” Dixon Place, New York, NY February 02, 2010
- “Blood and Swath”(with Fastwurms) Ridykeulous, Leo Koening Gallery, November 20, 2009
- “Lazer Vag Magic” Art's Birthday, Video Pool, Winnipeg MB, January 15, 2009
- Lazer Vag Magic Performance Party, Montreal QC, November 13, 2008
- Deep Lez Pot Luck, San Francisco CA, June 18, 2008
- Gaycation, Portland OR, June 12, 2008
- FemFest, Halifax, NS, November 24, 2007
- Out on Screen, Vancouver, BC, 18 August 2007.
- “Hard Headed Woman” Art's Birthday, Video Pool, Winnipeg MB, Jan15, 2009
- 7a11d Performance, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto ON, August 22, 2008
- “Pink Pant Period” Chub Rub, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto ON Feb 24, 2006
- “Lovin' our Sisters” 7a11d fundraider, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto ON February 14, 2006
- “Lesly and the Lys” Toronto Alternative Art Fair International, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto, November 06, 2005
- “Canadiana Dolly” 7a11d fundraiser, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto ON. August 15, 2004.
- “Slim Road Show” NOLOSE conference, Cherry Hill, NJ, July 09, 2004
- “Big Judy” Feminist Studies Symposium, York University, April 23, 2004
- “Big Judy” Mayworks in the Schools, George Brown, Casa Loma, March 25, 04
- “Super Size Night” Thornloe University Theatre, Laurentian University, Sudbury ON. November 30, 2003
- “Well Well Well” Fem Cab, Theatre Passe Murraille, Toronto, ON. March 23, 2003
- “Double Double” Mix Festival, New York City, Nov 23, 2002.
- “Wide Load” , Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto ON. June 28, 2002
- “Visions in White” Strange Sisters, Buddies In Bad Times Theatre, Toronto ON. June 21, 2002
- “Variety Show” Inside Out Festival of Lesbian and Gay Film and Video, Traxx, Toronto ON. May 20 02
- “Fat Cheerleaders” Clit Lit: May Works, The Red Room, Toronto ON. May 06, 2002
- “Move It Fatty” Bluma Appel Theatre, Toronto, ON. March 10, 2002
- “Wide Side Story” Anatomic Café, Festival of Film and Dance, Rivoli, Toronto ON. Sept 26, 2001
- “Livin' La Vida Porka!” , Chubbalicious, 360 Club, Toronto ON. June 13, 2001
- “Baby Elephant Walk” , Fem Cab, St. Lawerence Centre for the Arts, Toronto ON, March 04, 2001.
- Assistant Professor School of Women's Studies, York University, Toronto
- Course Director FACS 2500 3.0 Contemporary Art and New Technologies
- Fine Arts Cultural Studies, Faculty of Fine Arts, York University, Toronto
- Course Director FACS 4920 3.0 Feminist Cultural Theory
- Fine Arts Cultural Studies, Faculty of Fine Arts, York University, Toronto
- Course Director WMST 3523 6.0 Feminisms and Film
- School of Women's Studies, York University, Toronto
- Course Director WMST 4514 3.0 Tough Chicks: Women's Strength and Anger in Pop Culture
- School of Women's Studies, York University, Toronto
- Course Director SART 4800/4870 "Special Topics in Sculpture" University of Guelph, GuelphON
- Course Director WMST 4508.06
- "Young Feminisms: Contemporary Feminist Activism" York University, TO ON
- Course Director HUMA 3980 6.0
- "Popular Culture in the 20th Century", York University, Toronto ON
SELECTED HONOURS & AWARDS
- 2000-2002 Doctoral Fellowship Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- 1997-1999 Dean of Graduate Studies' Academic Excellence Scholarship, York University
- 1998-1999 Ontario Graduate Scholarship Ontario Ministry of Education and Training, Student Affairs.
Grants and Awards
- 2009 Travel Grant to Media Arts Professionals, Canada Council for the Arts
- 2009 Artist Production Grant, Ontario Arts Council
- 2007 Artist Production Grant, Toronto Arts Council
- 2006 Canada Council for the Arts, Visual Artist Project Grant
- 2005 Toronto Arts Council, Artist Film and Video, with Fiona Smyth
- 2005 Ontario Arts Council, Artist Film and Video, with Fiona Smyth
- 2004 L.I.F.T (The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto) Film Production Grant
- 2004 Chalmers Fellowship Award, with Fiona Smyth
- 2004 Toronto Arts Council, Theatre Grant, with Pretty Porky and Pissed Off
- 2003 Canada Council for the Arts, Creation Program Grant, with Pretty Porky and Pissed Off
- 2002 The Lesbian And Gay Community Appeal of Toronto, Cultural Production Grant
- 2002 L.I.F.T. (The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto), Film Production Grant
- 2000 Best Animation, Planet Out Short Film Awards
- Mitchell, A. 2005, "Recovered Heart" Success and Recovery, Instant Coffee: 20.
- Mitchell, A 2005 "Porky" D. Kulick & A. Meneley (Eds) Fat: The Anthropology of an Obsession (NY: Penguin)
- Mitchell, A 2002 "Cellulite" & "Always Hungry" (Illustrations) C. Brushwood Rose & A.Camilleri (Eds) Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity (Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press).
- Mitchell, A & A Slone 2002 "Fat and Femme", C. Brushwood Rose & A.Camilleri (Eds) Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity (Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press).
- Mitchell, A & L. Rundle, L. Karaian, Eds. 2001 Turbo Chicks: Talking Young Feminisms (Toronto: Sumach).
- Mitchell, A. 2000 "Fat Teen Diary", Fireweed: A feminist quarterly. 67 (1): 13-17.
Art Institute of Chicago, International Studio and Curatorial Program, Brooklyn, NY, Art Gallery of Peterborough, Southern Alberta Art Gallery, Lethbridge AB, The Power Plant, Toronto ON, Dalhousie Art Gallery, Halifax NS, The Textile Museum of Canada, Toronto, ON, Toronto Alternative Art Fair International, Toronto, ON, Youth Theatre Group, Sudbury, ON, St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts, Toronto, ON. Sketch Centre for Marginalized Youth and the Arts, Toronto, ON
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Parson's School of Art and Design, New York NY, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Ontario College of Art and Design, Toronto, ON, Sheridan College, Oakville, ON, University of Syracuse, Syracuse, NY, Queen's University, Kingston, ON, York University, Toronto, ON, Concordia University, Montreal, QC, Waterloo University, Waterloo, ON, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON, Carleton University, Seneca College, Toronto, ON